Re: More emacs instances

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: More emacs instances
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:22:05 +0200

Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> ,----
>> | #!/bin/bash
>> | host=$(hostname)
>> | mailserver="hermes.servername.net"
>> | if [ $host != "hermes.servername.net" ]
>> | then
>> |     echo "Doing remote call to mailserver $mailserver"
>> |     ssh $mailserver /home/shamrock/bin/getmails
>> |     exit
>> | fi
>> |
>> | cmd="getmail -l -a -q"
>> |
>> | for file in ~/.getmail/*.rc; do
>> |     cmd="$cmd --rcfile $file "
>> | done
>> |
>> | $cmd
>> `----
>>
>> man getmail for the account rc file formats.
>>
>> But then I discovered offlineimap. Now I run offlineimap every ten
>> minutes or so which stores imap email from gmail into local maildirs and
>> I connect gnus directly to them. Fast and efficient. And easily
>> "cloneable" on my laptops.
>>
>> This article proved useful :-
>>
>> http://pbrisbin.com:8080/pages/mutt2.html
>
> Why getmail over fetchmail?

You know, I can't remember. Possibly easier to configure or better with
IMAP? I really dont recall! But I listed it as a "heads up".

> Anyway also the imapsync is a great idea, I forgot about that.

offlineimap

> Nice about fetchmail was to pass stuff to procmail to filter
> automatically, can you do the same thing when you already have the imap
> cloned?

You can use gnus splitting if you like. I used to prefer that since its
all self contained in gnus then.

That said I recently decided that, the devil you know, just to use gmail
filters configured via their web UI. I apply labels to emails e.g
"emacs-gnus" and then see them as separate IMAP folders (eg I see an
IMAP folder called "emacs-gnus") courtesy of offlineimap.

> It's much easier for cloning over laptops that's true...

Yup.

I did have local dovecot imap servers for a while, but I got confused
with multiple gmail account setup and so decided to keep it
simple. Also, the benefit of having local maildir is the wonderful
Mairix for indexing and searching!