Re: Own programming language mode - syntax highlighting

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: Own programming language mode - syntax highlighting
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 14:43:15 +0300

On 14.09.2010 14:15, Deniz Dogan wrote:
2010/9/14 Gary<help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name>:
Following Xah Lee's excellent tutorial, I have been able to get the
basics done - syntax highlighting, indentation, and so on. What I am
missing is a small part of the syntax highlighting related to variables.

Declarations work fine - for example
int x = 0
is correctly highlighted. What I can't work out how to do is to
highlight declared variables in the rest of the code, for example when I
later use x such as
x = x+1

Does anyone have any ideas? Ideally I'd like to only highlight those
variables I have really declared, not something that just looks like it
*might* be a variable, so I can see immediately if I've made a mistake
in my coding or typing.

To do this in a sensible way you need a real parser, which can be
implemented using e.g. Semantic[1]. Simple regular expressions and
such cannot be used for this purpose in a sensible way.

Really by '(define-generic-mode ...)' you usually specify regex.

There are possibility use functions for MATCHER (see doc for 'font-lock-keywords').

You can implement rudimental parser by that way,
but you must carefully wrote it for performance reason.

Is there any good example of use function for MATCHER?