Re: problem: tramp and CIFS share. cannot get it.

From: mafeusek
Subject: Re: problem: tramp and CIFS share. cannot get it.
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:38:27 +0200

> I'm confused. What does "/path/to/share" means? A share is always a
> name, without slash or backslash. In your example above, "path" is the
> share name.
>
> So you must use "/smb:some.cifs.machine:/share/path/to/file".

by 'share' I mean a resource that is being shared, like directory or
file. Probably this is not correct. Share by means of samba protocol is
reflected by first segment of path (`share/' in my example).

Let's assume then, that there is some directory I want to enter:
like:
some.cifs.machine:/share/path/to/directory

while this one works:
bash-prompt$ smbclient //some.cifs.machine/share/path/to/directory -U john -W
MyDomain

but putting tramp path in emacs:
/smb:some.cifs.machine:/share/path/to/directory

fails

Of course in both the cases I put correct password at password prompt

best regards,
Pawel