emacs 23 display slow over cable modem

From: Strozzi, David J.
Subject: emacs 23 display slow over cable modem
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 23:01:44 -0700

Hi,

I compiled emacs 23.2.1 in my home dir on a linux cluster (amd 64 chips) at
work.  I connect over VPN from home, where I have a cable modem.  For a long
time, emacs 21.4 *run as an xwindows app* (not "emacs -nw" living in a
terminal) has performed fine - after it starts (which may take some time),
typing, switching buffers, etc is pretty instant.  But, doing the same thing
in 23.2 gives much slower response.  Both work fine in -nw mode, but there
are some reasons (keyboard mappings, multi-windows, mouse) why I like the
full xwin app.  From my office, both xwin's run very fast.

Any ideas on why?  I just do text, no image stuff in emacs.  I'd really like
to use emacs 23, remotely, the full xwin app, and have the speed be like
emacs 21.

Thanks,
David Strozzi