Re: emacs's spell check feature problems (criticism)

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: emacs's spell check feature problems (criticism)
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:10:22 -0000

On May 25, 3:52 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
«
• Emacs Spell Checker Problems
 http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_spell_checker_problems.html
»

On May 28, 8:40 am, jpkotta <jpko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't get speck-mode to spell check for me.  I had some deliberately
> misspelled words, and ran speck-region and speck-line so that it
> should have found them.  speck-line complained about no "speck
> process", so maybe I still have more stuff to set up.  It also didn't
> find anything when I initially turned on speck-mode.  I haven't put
> much effort in, though.

thanks. After i wrote to you, i worked on it... updated my blog about
it.

After 2 hours, i did these init steps:

(setq speck-engine (quote Hunspell))
(setq speck-hunspell-language-options
      (quote (("da" utf-8 nil t nil)
              ("de" iso-8859-1 nil t nil)
              ("en" utf-8 nil nil nil)
              ("fr" iso-8859-1 nil nil nil)
              ("it" iso-8859-1 nil nil nil)
              ("ru" koi8-r nil nil nil))))
(setq speck-hunspell-program "C:/Program Files (x86)/ErgoEmacs5/
hunspell/hunspell.exe")
(setq speck-hunspell-library-directory "C:/Program Files (x86)/
ErgoEmacs5/hunspell/")
(setq speck-hunspell-default-dictionary-name "en_US")

then, M-x speck-mode didn't give any error, with emacs status bar
showing “[en_US]”, indicating that it is running, and is also listed
by describe-mode. However, incorrect words isn't highlighted in
anyway. Calling speck-region on a region that has bad words also
doesn't seem to do anything.

So, i have same experience as you. The older version worked for me no
problem.
I wrote a email to the guy yesterday and he replied today and i
haven't processed it yet. Will update when i eventually got things
worked out.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/