Re: line-move-visual

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:14:03 -0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:

I did give you the answer: I tried it and found to my surprise that
I liked it, so I suggested it and people said "no way", then they tried
it and some people hated it, while others really liked it.

Yes, you did say all of that, and I understood it the first time. But, is Stefan liking something good enough a reason to change the default behaviour? You can set your own defaults in your .emacs to get the behaviour you like and so can all the other people. Does it need to cause an incompatible change to Emacs defaults and potentially break the code/macros of people that have depended on the old behaviour? Does it need endanger people who might unsuspectingly download packages over the net that might depend on the old defaults and have their files corrupted as a result? I hope you will agree that these are more serious questions than merely liking or disliking some behaviour.

So in the end it was a judgment call, and I decided that the added
convenience of being able to deal with very-long-lines without having to
change mode was more important.  I.e. I decided that case 3 (in my
earlier long post about it) was less common and less important.

Judgment call is ok, and none of us can claim that we are perfect at that. But what concerns me is that after seeing all the discussion here, you still maintain that you "don't regret the decision" because a lot of people like it. So, are you opening Emacs to potentially unsafe changes in an effort to get people to like it?

You also haven't acknowledged that Emacs gets used as a platform on which other services are delivered, such as programming environments or mail clients. Your response only touches upon the use of Emacs for personal text editing. Imagine, for instance, that your favourite mail client happened to use `next-line' instead of `forward-line' somewhere in handling the mail headers. It could damage the mail folders irretrievably over a period of time before it ever gets noticed. Is that kind of trouble an appropriate price to pay for the "convenience" you talk about?

Cheers,
Uday