Re: 'initial-major-mode interaction with 'major-mode

From: Lars Wessman
Subject: Re: 'initial-major-mode interaction with 'major-mode
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:09:07 -0000

On May 20, 4:53 am, Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> Define "using".  I.e. show us the actual code you tried.´

I included the code you've just asked me for in the original message
describing the problem. I took care to make the description of the
problem quite complete.

> And don't forget that for `major-mode', you need to set it with
> `setq-default' rather than with `setq'.

Ahhh.. so that's it! Thank you.

Just for curiosity's sake, why was the decision made to create a
separate function for defining defaults (assuming that is what setq-
default does without having checked the code)? What is gained by
departing from the simplicity of just using setq? Again, I'm not
challenging the change, just interested in the reasoning behind it
because I like to know how architectural decisions are justified in
general.

>         Stefan

Lars