Re: Naming new GUI colors?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Naming new GUI colors?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:21:00 -0000

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:01:29 +1000 Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

TX> You can define any colour you want using the existing mechanism by using
TX> the # hex notation. You are not restricted to just using the 'named'
TX> colours.

Most users don't speak hex.  I don't want to parse hex every time I look
at my face definitions.

TX> It would be impossible to define a list of colours with 'spoken' names
TX> that was acceptable to everyone. Your favorite red is not mine.

That's the point!  Users should be able to define their own favorite
colors!  Emacs only has to provide a way to do it!

TX> So emacs provides the ability to use the names that are defined, but
TX> also allows you to use the hex rgb names should you want to define
TX> he colour slightly differently to what is in the rgb database.

None of that will change, but again you're not saying anything to
convince me we don't need custom names.

TX> you can get that warm fuzzy feeling o having become a contributor!

I've had that feeling before and it lasts until the first bug report :)