Re: auth-source multiple accounts

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: auth-source multiple accounts
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:21:23 -0000

On 7/27/2010 6:59 PM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

I want to make it more generic with QUERIES since not every auth-source
API user will want the login ID to be a query key.  VM and Gnus have
this kind of data hierarchy but url*.el doesn't, for example.  I think
that's a good compromise and doesn't extend the API too much.

 From VM you would pass me (k v) as the query, e.g. (login "xyz").  In
the netrc/authinfo file, then, I would match only lines with

.... login xyz ....

in them.  So the query key and value are a contract between the
application and the user.  auth-source is just a conduit.  If VM
standardizes on (login "xyz") then we'll add a VM-specific section to
the auth.texi manual giving an example.  For Gnus we'll probably use
(server "xyz") because the Gnus configuration hierarchy is structured
that way.

Hi Ted, I am entirely in support of the general queries feature. as long it includes login-queries.

However, there is another problem.  (Sorry to be bringing up so many problems:-(

I suppose auth-source is part of the Gnus distribution. Am I right? So, people are going to be using different versions of auth-source, obtained via the Gnus distribution, FSF distribution and XEmacs distribution (not to mention other independent distros). It will take years for all of these distributions to converge.

So, I won't be able to use the new version of auth-source-user-or-password in VM until I can be sure that all our users have retired the old version. Sounds terrible, doesn't it? When we deal with independent distributions, it appears that backward-compatibility is not enough; forward-compatibility is also needed.

One solution is to add a new function instead of adding an optional parameter to the existing function. Then I can test to see if the new function exists and use the querying functionality if it does.

Cheers,
Uday