Quickly finding out a function or a variable you need?

From: Elena
Subject: Quickly finding out a function or a variable you need?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:23:31 -0000

Hello,

while writing Emacs Lisp code, I often use `describe-function' and
`describe-variable' to search for functions and variables related to
the task at hand.

This commands, however - unlike `apropos' - require you to know the
first characters. This means you'll have an hard time, for instance,
finding `kill-buffer' when looking for functions which operate on
buffers. Moreover, in both `describe-*', completion buffer is lost as
soon as you choose a completion, thus if you want to check another
interesting function/variable you just saw, you have to start all over
again.

I know I must be missing something... Maybe there is some super-search
facility inside Emacs which I don't know about (besides using Internet
search engines I mean)? How do you quickly find out a function or a
variable you need in your code, instead?

Thanks for sharing.