byte-compiler warnings

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: byte-compiler warnings
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:28:09 -0000

hi all,

having upgraded to GNU Emacs 23.2.1, some of my elisp code that used to compile
without any messages now produces some warnings. the first is:

Function `copy-list' from cl package called at runtime

this one appears a couple of times, also for `gensym' and `evenp'.

i do require the cl package at compile time, but since copy-list, gensym and
evenp are functions, that of course doesn't help.

 if i require the package at runtime, the byte compiler complains about it, too:
"cl package required at runtime"...

so isn't one supposed to use these functions at all, except in private code?

the second warning i get is:

`save-excursion' defeated by `set-buffer'

this applies to code chunks like the following:

(save-excursion
  (set-buffer <some-buffe>

in each case, i can actually take out the save-excursion, i think, because the
save-excursion scopes until the end of the function it's in and that's where the
effect of set-buffer ends anyway. but it does make me curious, why this warning
never appeared in previous emacs versions. and looking at the elisp info files a
bit, i find that besides set-buffer there are also save-current-buffer and
with-current-buffer, which seem to do pretty much the same thing. anyone know
which function is preferred in which situation?

TIA

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)