Re: 2 emacs shell questions

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: 2 emacs shell questions
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:34:27 -0000

kj <no.email@please.post> writes:

> Two emacs shell questions.  (By "emacs shell" I mean the one that
> runs when one executes M-x shell.)
>
> 1. When I run some programs within this shell (e.g. the python
>    interactive interpreter), I get several repetitions of the error
>    message
>
> No entry for terminal type "emacs";
> using dumb terminal settings.
>
>    Where is this "entry" being searched for, and what do I need to
>    do so that one for terminal type "emacs" is found?
>
> 2. For some reason, when in the emacs shell, a set ignoreeof option
>    in zsh is being disregarded.  As a result pressing C-d when
>    point is at the end of the buffer causes the emacs shell to
>    terminate (i.e. the EOF sent to the subprocess is *not* being
>    ignored, contrary to what the set ignoreeof option specifies).
>    Even more strangely, this does not happen with bash (setting
>    its ignoreeof option produces the expected behavior).  Also,
>    zsh's ignoreeof works fine when I run it on a regular terminal
>    (as opposed to the emacs shell).  So there problem seems to be
>    specific to the combination of zsh and emacs shell, but I can't
>    tell whether the problem lies with Emacs or with zsh.  Any
>    suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further would be
>    appreciated.
>
> TIA!

Have a look in the etc/e directory in the emacs distribution. There you
will find an emac terminfo file which may improve capabilities (though
I'm not sure if shell uses this, but M-x term does.

I'd try using M-x term rather than M-x shell as that provides a more
term compliant interface rather than just a dumb  shell.

I don't know much about zsh, but it could be that emacs is executing it
as a non-login shell and it is not sourcing 'normal' login config files.
A couple of htings to try would be

1. Start a zsh and run emacs from within that. Then M-x shell would be a
shell that is a sub process of emacs, which in turn is a sub process of
your zsh, so maybe environment settings will be passed along.

2. You may be able to set explicit command args within emacs that will
be used when executing the sub-shell. Maybe that will give you the
control you want. I'd look at the cusotm groups for shell and term and
see if anything looks promising.

HTH

Tim

--