Re: too many buffers

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: too many buffers
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:58:47 +1100

Jack Hokus <jack.hokus@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I am beginner in Emacs. I  have this problem. Emacs open up many
> unnecessary buffers. I use Emacs to work with LaTeX. My goal is to
> have open three buffer, first with .tex file, second with outpot from
> program LaTeX and third with completed pdf file. How to do? I was
> looking for a solution and found this options (put
> 'dired-find-alternate-file 'disabled nil) But i  want to disable open
> scratch  buffer and set message buffer too to be opened only when the
> program crashes. How to do?
>
> Sorry but English is not my native language. Have a nice day

Don't worry about them. This is something many new emacs users get
concerned about, but it is actually a non-issue. Emacs will put the
buffers you are not interested in lower and lower in the buffer list and
you will see them less and less often - even forget they are there.

A major mistake made by new users is to try and make emacs like every
other editor or even like an IDE. This is a mistake.

Emacs is liked by many because it is very different. Others don't like
the difference and for htem, it is not the right editor. However, if you
start by trying to make it just like everything else your use to, you
will miss the opportunity of experiencing something different and new
which may turn out to be better than what your familiar with - provided
you give it a chance.

Once you have used it for a while, you will see some things, mostly
cosmetic, whihc you will still like to change. For these, there are
various add on packages (and quite a few built in ones) that will likely
satisfy your needs. For example, as emacs tends to use lots of buffers,
there are a number of different buffer switching packages and various
tweaks you can do that will enable you to get things just right -
however, start with the vanilla basic so that you know what they are,
get to experience the difference and then, start to tweak things.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au