Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: No automatic tabs in Emacs?
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 03:01:18 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 6, 10:41 am, Mario Lassnig <ma...@lassnig.net> wrote:
> On 12/6/10 11:24 AM, Miles Bader wrote:
>
> > I'm confused; are you implying that CEDET's project-management is
> > somehow hard to use or figure out?  Have you used it?
>
> I've been trying to figure out the following workflow with CEDET,
> but ultimately I had to give up, due to me not having days to figure
> it out... The workflow is as follows:
>
> I have a directory structure like so:
>
> project/
>     /src/
>         /subdir1/
>                  a.cpp
>                  a.h
>         /subdir1/
>                  b.cpp
>                  b.h
>         main.cpp
>     /build/
>     /docs/
>     /externals/
>                externalA/
>                          includes
>                externalB/
>                          includes
>     Makefile
>
> Now, the only thing I want is that when I open a file in the src/
> directories, to have emacs know about the includes from the
> externals and the other src directories, and if i save any
> file to execute the makefile from the top directory.
>
> "How hard can that be?" I thought... emacs only needs to know about
> the includes directory to get the cedet fun stuff enabled, and
> a save-hook for the makefile. Figures, I've been completely unable
> to even parse the documentation to find out where to start on how
> to configure this.
>
> Do I have to place a special configuration file in the project main?
> Do I have to place some configuration lines in a file?
> Do I have to set something in my .emacs?
>
> And if yes on any of this, how?

Have you read the excellent Alex Ott's tutorial?
http://alexott.net/en/writings/emacs-devenv/EmacsCedet.html

This section is about headers:
http://alexott.net/en/writings/emacs-devenv/EmacsCedet.html#sec7
I think the best way to automate this is by having some tool - CScope
maybe - tell you what headers are included by your sources, and then
passing such headers to semantic (instead of adding them by hand).

If you are willing to give up CEDET, you make have a look at this
project: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Emacs-IDE (Linux only)