Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Elena
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 00:28:46 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 21, 9:51 pm, "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <p...@informatimago.com>
wrote:
> Richard Riley <rile...@googlemail.com> writes:
> > Then the IDEs you have used have not been configured IDEs. Its almost
> > never quicker anymore at the command line in a properly configured
> > IDE. A lot of people claim it is : invariably those who have not used a
> > modern IDE. Those things you do at the command line can be hot keyed in
> > an IDE too. As for "not needing" - do you know what an IDE is? I
> > actually use emacs as one - weaknesses not withstanding - so I kind of
> > disagree with Elena about that. Development is a lot more than "coding
> > in a text editor". Lets see what the IDE brings (and most of what Emacs
> > can do already and marked appropriately in brackets below):-
>
> > Dependency management (poor since I cant get cedet working and dont want
> > to learn another "project" framework such as EDE)
> > Context help for all parts of project development. (poor/non existent).
> > Standardised UI (excellent)
> > Error code navigation and cross referencing (not bad in Emacs when
> > compiling in emacs)
> > Bug tracking (Hmm I use org-mode)
> > Task prioritisation (org-mode)
> > Code navigation (awful. Tags are not up to the task for the most part).
> > Code refactoring (none afaik)
> > Version management (excellent with Magit).
>
> > Emacs is almost there I think. And with what it brings elsewhere I dont
> > feel I need an IDE - except for Java. Emacs java support is awful from
> > what I can see.
>
> You forgot that the I in IDE doesn't only mean "Integrated" but also
> "Integrating".  Almost all the IDE fail lamentably on this point, while
> you can easily Integrate any tool in emacs.
>
> --
> __Pascal Bourguignon__                    http://www.informatimago.com/
> A bad day in () is better than a good day in {}.

I don't think so.  IDEs allow for integration of other tools.  As a
matter of fact, I've integrated Emacs in my IDE: one hot-key raises
Emacs at the same line and column of the buffer I'm editing.  You
really can't do better than that, because Emacs doesn't allow to
integrate itself in other tools.

What I think IDEs fail at lamentably is providing their facilities
*outside* their environment, but then I think that Emacs doesn't fare
much better.