Re: c/c++ project management and debugging

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: c/c++ project management and debugging
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 14:07:01 +0100

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@googlemail.com> writes:

>>> IDE are not customizable.
>>

>> Huh?
>>
>> Of course they are.
>
> Close to none, compared to emacs.  The main problem is that they
> either

Compare to emacs this is true.

But nearly all allow you to configure the tools they use to one extent or
another. Eclipse is a VERY customisable IDE. The key is the word
"integrated" however.

Point of order : I refer to emacs as an IDE although many think its
not. Its certainly very weak in these areas (out of the box or unless
you're an elisp guru):-

project management (cedet is simply too complex and it seems rarely
used)
dependency management (really part of above)
code navigation (tags dont cut it and cedet is, well, complex)
context help
templates and smart parameters (inline code completions - and I dont
mean a tab key murdering static template mechanism like yasnippet)
context help
mixed mode programming (php/html for example)
java and Javascript
Python (no one seems to know which way to go here)

> propose a fixed set of options ("preferences"), or if they propose a
> "programming" language, it's a half-backed proprietary languages, often
> not even Turing-complete.

I would agree here. I use emacs. But this doesnt mean I think its a good
programming "IDE" in the usual sense of it. Certainly GUD/GDB seemed to
have got worse not better last time I used it. The true benefits Emacs
brings is in its "wholesomeness" for want of a better word. I like using
the one editor for all things I type : whether that typing be email,
task management, mySQL statements or html/css/php. The benefits are
manyfold.

Someone told me recently that Emacs is much better for Java development
than Eclipse. That is stretching the meaning of the world "best" too far
IMO and some people who talk about Emacs competing with such need to try
it and not start the experiment moaning about emacs key bindings not
working ;)