RE: one shortcut next occurrence search

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: one shortcut next occurrence search
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 08:39:07 -0800

> > Otherwise, you can try "<prefix key> C-h", that is "C-c
> > C-h", "C-x C-h" and so on.
>
> Yes, especially C-h b is useful for finding out the bindings for the
> preceeding prefix.  For example, C-s C-h b tells you all bindings of
> isearch.

Actually, Isearch is the exception in this regard.  As Elena indicated,
typically all you have to do is hit the prefix key and then `C-h', to see the
bindings on that key.

IIRC, Isearch (`C-s') used to be that way too (Many Moon Ago), but then for a
long time `C-h' didn't work at all for `C-s'.  Then Someone(TM) thought it would
be better for `C-s C-h' to give more general help, not just the bindings.  So
now you need to add `b' to get the bindings.

[In Isearch+, I bind `C-s C-h' to a version of the standard command
`isearch-mode-help' that (a) gives help about Isearch and (b) lists the Isearch
key bindings.  The (a) part is what vanilla Isearch gives you with `C-s C-h m'.
The (b) part is what it gives you with `C-s C-h b'.]

---

I will make a plug here also for command `describe-keymap' in library
help-fns+.el.  It is bound to `C-h M-k'.  It gives you a human-readable view of
keymaps.  The only thing it leaves out (purposely) are menu bindings.

`C-h M-k RET isearch-mode-map' shows you the same thing as `C-s C-h b'.  But the
`C-h' trick does not work with all prefix keys.  And there are many keymaps that
are not bound to prefix keys.

`C-h M-k' can be useful even for keymaps that you cannot get to easily, such as
the minibuffer keymaps.  You can even use it with `global-map'.  But you can use
it only for keymaps that are the value of a variable (you are prompted for the
variable name).