Re: pasting text from other program in emacs

From: Javier
Subject: Re: pasting text from other program in emacs
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:30:22 +0000 (UTC)

>> I am using emacs 23.2.1 and debian Squezze.  Is this a new
>> "feature" of emacs 23?
> Is what a new feature? pasting text in Emacs copied from outside it?  No.
>> is it because of the usage of gtk libraries?
> Is what because of that?

As emacs23 is compiled with gtk libraries (at least the version of it
that comes with debian), those libraries might be responsible of the
behaviour of copy-paste.

>> It happens in X and also in the console if I try to
>> paste text with gpm.
> "It happens."  What happens?

I cannot paste text between different X applications/ttys in console mode.
I get the message "Kill-Ring is empty".

> Please provide a step-by-step recipe, starting from emacs -Q.  Include which
> keys you hit (in Emacs and outside), what effect you expect, and what effect
> you
> see instead.

I select text in xterm with left-mouse-button, I try to paste it into
emacs with central-mouse-button and I get the message "Kill ring is

The same happens in console mode when I try to paste text between
different virtual ttys.