Re: apropos-documentation fails all the time

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: apropos-documentation fails all the time
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:15:25 +0000

Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>>> I am using emacs 23.2.1 from Debian testing.  apropos-do-all
>>> is t.  The error occurs regardless of what I pass to
>>> apropos-documentation, interactively typically; e.g.
>>>    C-h d .*documentation.* RET
>>> gives the error as does any string really, whether a regex or not.
>>> I will report a bug if nobody can suggest anything that can alleviate
>>> this problem.
>>
>> Yes, please report a bug. I assume you started from emacs -Q.
>>
>> With emacs 23.2.1 I cannot reproduce it:
>> GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2010-05-08 on G41R2F1
>>

> I cannot reproduce it either using emacs 24.0.50. Note that Drew's
> comment regarding running with -Q and seeing if the problem exists is
> critical. This will tell you if it is a bug in the core emacs program or
> from something in your .emacs or an additional package that has been
> installed
>
> Tim

Just to give an update on this problem:

- with emacs -Q, I can load up my initialisation files (.emacs and all
  the bits it refers to) and there are no problems: C-h d works just
  fine.

- with emacs -q, the error reappears.

If I set apropos-do-all to nil, everything works fine (although I
obviously lose the functionality provided by this setting).  There is
something in my site wide initialisation that is conflicting with
apropos-do-all obviously.  Unfortunately, I have way too many packages
(all from Debian repositories, mind you) to even begin figuring out
where to look.

Any further suggestions are more than welcome but, at least, for the
time being I can put up without apropos-do-all.

Thanks again,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D)