RE: Icicles [was: shell command completion gone]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Icicles [was: shell command completion gone]
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 01:04:11 -0800

Hi Rustom,

If you think you've found an Icicles bug, please use `M-x
icicle-send-bug-report'.

> Reinstalling: The get icicles shell script missed ring+.el.
> Anyway thats a minor point

I did not write `get-icicles.sh', but I've just added `ring+.el' to its list of
optional libraries for Icicles - thanks.  It is not a required library, but it
is used by one of the other libraries which is in the `get-icicles' optional
list.

> Well I find that uparrow and downarrow in vanilla (aided with
> savehist) gets me history But icicles gets me the 2C-associate-buffer

By default, `up' and `down' (arrows) in Icicles do not cycle history entries.
They cycle completion candidates per the current completion mode (e.g. prefix or
apropos).  By default the current mode is prefix completion.

To cycle history entries use `M-n' and `M-p' (or change the keys to suit
yourself).  This is all in the doc.

> (Seems to have recently changed from forward to reverse or some such
> so now gives zone-mode)

Dunno what you mean.  There has been no change in either cycle order or
candidate sort order.

Apparently you were completing command names (`M-x'), and you cycled using `up'.
In that case, assuming the default sort order (alphabetical), the first
candidate presented is something like `zone-mode' (up from the last).  If you
use `down' instead, then the first candidate alphabetically is cycled first,
e.g., `2c-associate-buffer'.

You can change the candidate sort order using `C-,'.  You can reverse the
current sort order using `C-1 C-,' (any numeric prefix arg with `C-,').  If you
accidentally hit, say, `C-1 C-,' and if the current sort order is alphabetical,
then you get a reverse alphabetical sort: `down' then sorts up from z to a, and
`up' sorts down from a to z, the opposite of usual.

> Another thing about icicles that got in my way earlier (dunno if
> changed recently) is that icicles stay around and show up unexpectedly
> and uselessly when for example I kill another buffer

Sorry, no idea what you mean, even after your later correction, which I don't
understand either:

> Typo: I meant icicles completion *buffers*

If you kill a buffer it stays killed, in Icicles as in Emacs.  And there is only
one completion buffer in Icicles (and typically in Emacs): `*Completions*'.

If you kill a buffer without also deleting its window, then another buffer takes
its place in the window.  That's not special to Icicles.  (Personally, I bind
`C-x k' to a command that deletes the window in addition to killing the buffer.)

Again, if you think you come across a bug, please file a report (starting from
emacs -Q etc.).  Thx.