Re: gnutls and Emacs on Windows

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: gnutls and Emacs on Windows
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 23:09:22 +0200

On 2011-02-08 11:56, Gary wrote:
When using jabberEl in my normal emacs (Cygwin nox build) I see the
following when I (successfully) connect:
,----
| Opening TLS connection to `talk.google.com'...
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli -p 5223 talk.google.com'...done
| Opening TLS connection to `talk.google.com'...done
`----

but the same config in the Windows build (see sig) produces:
,----
| Opening TLS connection to `talk.google.com'...
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli -p 5223 talk.google.com'...failed
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli -p 5223 talk.google.com --protocols
ssl3'...failed
| Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect talk.google.com:5223
-no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...failed
| Opening TLS connection to `talk.google.com'...failed
`----

I suspect I need to install some other gnutls build or something like
that?

Can I use the already installed Cygwin gnutls "stuff"?

Is there an alternative to gnutls if none of that works (I think I can
use openssl, but haven't even looked at how that might work with the
Windows build yet).

Has anyone come up against gnutls problems using the Windows binary and
can point me in the right direction?

I spend a lot of time to make work jabber.el with GTalk.

Native/Cygwin 'openssl' have hard resolve problem with Emacs
(for me xD, don't remember what).

So I try 'gnutls'. Before get working setup I try different native
build of 'gnutls' without happiness with a lot of weeks of tries.
Look for data in my ask for help :)

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.jabber.general/923/focus=940

On emacswiki page I read about success with Cygwin 'gnutls'.
And I decide remove all hardly unite in friendship native ports
and install Cygwin. And all work as on Linux!

So I recommend use Cygwin instead of learning GDB!

--
Best regards!