Re: Keyboard goes dead

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: Keyboard goes dead
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 22:09:28 +0530

On Sun, Feb 06 2011,Ken Goldman wrote:

> 23.1.1 on Linux x86, 64bit
>
> Has anyone seen this:
>
> About once a day, the keyboard becomes inactive within emacs.  The
> mouse works, and the keyboard works outside emacs.
>
> It seems to happen right after I do a grep or compile and try to do a
> next-error.
>
> Sometimes, I can recover by hitting return in the compile or grep
> window.  When I do that, the messages window appears, and anything
> that I typed in the other windows is processed.
>
> Other times, I have to kill emacs.
>
> Ctrl-G doesn't have any effect, nor does ESC-ESC-ESC.
>
> Any clues?  Anything to try?

Anyone of the other modes active at the time?  Like flyspell/sh mode?
On older versions of Emacs, macros use to run very slowly when
flyspell was on.

I have no idea whether that is the cause but it might be a good idea
to try without the init file to see whether it's some mode that's
causing the problem.

 sivaram