Re: Windows7 and .emacs files

From: Michel Chassey
Subject: Re: Windows7 and .emacs files
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:03:05 -0800 (PST)

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't emacs just as well accept a _emacs file (
underline char instead of a dot ) and then Windows will leave you alone with
the file name ? see sections 1 and 2 of your question
Also setting an environement variable called HOME   =
c:\path\to\my\preferred\etc. in My Computer system will enable emacs to find
it just about anywhere on C:  ?

This is probably in some FAQ.
Hope this helps,
Michel Chassey

mpettis wrote:
> Hi,
> [SNIP]
> I'm trying to set a HOME .emacs file for GNU Emacs 23.2 on Windows7
> 64-bit.
>  I'm trying to follow the recommendations in section 3.5 at
> .
> Problems I'm having is:
> 1. I can't create files in c:\ (I don't know why, it's my work computer so
> maybe there's a restriction)...
> 2. I can't make '.emacs' files anywhere because the OS tells me I need a
> filename (i.e., I can't have a leading '.' in the filename).
> 3. The registry hives mentioned at the link don't seem to exist in the
> registry, so I don't know what I can do to set them.
> I'd appreciate any help.
> Thank you,
> Matt

Sent from the Emacs - Help mailing list archive at