how to type math symbols in gnu emacs 2.12.19

From: a.efremov
Subject: how to type math symbols in gnu emacs 2.12.19
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 10:18:18 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
I run gnu emacs 2.12.19 on my linux f9 box. Upgrade is not an option
at least for a while. How I can type math symbols? No problem to
install additional el file. I'm not after for overkill solution but
rather for easy typing. Math symbols aren't my primary language I work
with. But sometimes usual i,j,k,l,m,n dont fit well or already in use.
It will be nice and more clear just type math. symbol on the go.
thank you in advance.