Re: Emacs 23, Debian and the "fixed" font

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs 23, Debian and the "fixed" font
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:41:55 +1100

Jorgen Grahn <grahn+nntp@snipabacken.se> writes:

>> The "fixed" font is not a real font - it is an font alias that points to
>> a real font. It could be that this alias is not defined in your system.
>
> It is -- xterm happily uses it.  If it's unavailable to GTK is another
> question. Unhappily, I have come to expect to have different
> selections of fonts in different applications over the years. If it's
> a configuration problem, it's one all my Linux installations have had.
>
> And "fixed" /is/ real in the sense that it's the same, pixel by pixel,
> on every system I've used for the last 20 years. (Except that time
> when they changed the shape of ' in some ancient X11 release.)

OK, what you can try is use xfontsel to select the appropriate fixed
font. The 'fixed' font is not a real font - it is an alias for a fixed
width font with a certain specification. The xfontsel program allows you
to select the various font specification components. For example

-*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-*-120-100-100-*-*-iso8859-1

will give you a fixed font with a medium weight and regular slant of
12pt size for the iso8859-1 encoding at a 100pdi resolution. Putting
this in your .Xresources or runing emacs -fn
"-*-fixed-medium-r-*-*-*-120-100-100-*-*-iso8859-1" should give you a
fixed width font.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au