Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?

From: rusi
Subject: Re: What's your favourite *under_publicized* editing feature ofEmacs?
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 22:18:29 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 1, 9:32 am, Jim Janney <jjan...@shell.xmission.com> wrote:
> Cthun <cthun_...@qmail.net.au> writes:

> >> I haven't written any novels, but the purpose of a version control
> >> system is to manage text
>
> > First of all, the purpose of a version control system is to manage
> > text that's compilable by build tools
>
> That's a bit like saying that the purpose of Usenet is pointless
> bickering; while that is one of the uses to which it's commonly put,
> it's hardly the only one

Historically, sccs tracked source and could not manage much else, in
particular binary files were a problem.

This was 40 years ago.

With rcs this stopped being true and it has been so for some 30 odd
years.

git is the most radical shift away from version control systems as
managing (source code) versions to generally managing content.

>From http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=111314792424707

In many ways you can just see git as a filesystem - it's content-
addressable, and it has a notion of versioning, but I really really
designed it coming at the problem from the viewpoint of a _filesystem_
person (hey, kernels is what I do), and I actually have absolutely
_zero_
interest in creating a traditional SCM system.  -- Linus Torvalds