ediff-revision doesn't recognize Mercurial-managed source

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: ediff-revision doesn't recognize Mercurial-managed source
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 03:23:22 +0000 (UTC)

The core Python development team just switched from Subversion to Mercurial,
so I'm trying to get my tool chain back into working order.  I have been
using vc and ediff-revision from within XEmacs, but its Mercurial support
seemed lacking, so I thought I would try making the switch to GNU Emacs.

While it appears that the version of GNU Emacs (23.1) I downloaded from

    http://emacsformacosx.com/

has a vc-hg.el.gz file, executing vc-next-action (C-x v v) on a
Mercurial-managed file seems to have tried to register the file with bzr!
Trying to execute ediff-revision results in a "blah is not under version
control" message.

Do I need to sprinkle some sort of magic ~/.emacs magic pixie dust to get vc
to work?

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro