Re: emacs and screen

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: emacs and screen
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:39:38 +0200

Peter Keller <psilord@cs.wisc.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Using emacs 22.3.1 with screen version 4.00.03jw4 (FAU) 2-May-06 on a
> debian squeeze box, I have run into a problem.
>
> When running emacs -nw, not in a screen session, C-x C-<left/right>
> rotates me between buffers. When running in screen, only C-x
> <left/right> will rotate me between buffers. Having to lift up on the
> control key to use the arrows is *very* annoying when rapidly moving
> between buffers.
>
> How can I fix this problem so under screen the C-x C-<left/right>
> key combination works again? I have looked into both manuals, but
> emacs should see the right key use, and screen doesn't make mention
> that it messes about with C-x (well, without the escape sequence
> being infront if it at any rate.)
>
> Thank you.

When going through a "minimalist" phase a year ago, I too used emacs -nw
in screen and/or tmux.

It's all down to termcaps and TERM setting and how emacs uses them.

I can only say : impossibly complicated and oodles of hackish
workarounds exists that require a lifetime of study to even begin to
understand.

I went back to emacs on X and haven't looked back ;)

On a more serious note, I sometimes uses emacs -nw still over ssh in a
screen but frequently key combos fail - most noticeably any Fn keys and
arrow keys,