RE: function evaluated, but cannot execute

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: function evaluated, but cannot execute
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 14:35:26 -0700

> But when I do "M-x my-prepend-to-file RET", emacs responds
> "[No match]".  So what's wrong?

This might be the #1 FAQ. You need an `interactive' spec to turn your function
into a command (interactive function).  See the Elisp manual, node `Using
Interactive'.

Consider also reading the integrated manual "An Introduction to Programming in
Emacs Lisp" (Emacs Lisp Intro). It will help greatly with things like this.