Re: Removing backup files corresponding to no longer existing files

From: Rasmus Villemoes
Subject: Re: Removing backup files corresponding to no longer existing files
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 17:49:53 -0400

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> I have:
>
> -----(clean-old-versions)-----------------------------------------------

Thanks! I'll steal a couple of ideas from that script (but I need to
add a little extra: if a backup file corresponds to a file on a remote
file system, the file should be assumed to exist if the file system is
not currently mounted)

> Indeed, it wouldn't be too hard to write it in emacs lisp either.
> The question would be when to run it?

Yes, I also thought a bit about that. But as long as emacs doesn't
keep a database of backup files, it's pretty safe to just delete them
using an auxilliary script as the one you provided, and running it
manually from time to time is good enough for me.

--
Rasmus Villemoes
<http://rasmusvillemoes.dk/>