Re: removing old installations

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: removing old installations
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 21:58:46 +0200

Am 25.06.2011 um 19:34 schrieb Eric Abrahamsen:

Given that no other "emacs" executables are on my system (at least, to
the best of my knowledge, and I spent a while rooting them out), what
other leftover files could be confusing my present installation?

With locate (or find) you can find all instances of "emacs" and also "emacs-23.2" and "emacs-24.0.50" and remove them. The same for the version sub-directories "23.2" and "24.0.50" in /usr/local/libexec/ emacs and /usr/local/share/emacs.

You can launch that "emacs" binary in your PATH and choose from the Help menu "Send Bug Report…" or type M-x report-emacs-bug RET. In the *unsent mail to address@hidden buffer you'll find a text describing where and how this "emacs" was built.

Finally you can use the trace utilities to see which files and directories these "emacs" executable files open.

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
They just redefine "dark" as the new standard.