Re: extract smtpmail data from .authinfo (or .authinfo.gpg)?

From: Tom Roche
Subject: Re: extract smtpmail data from .authinfo (or .authinfo.gpg)?
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 12:47:00 -0400

Tom Roche Tue, 16 Aug 2011 20:56:18 -0400
>> I currently use smtpmail and .authinfo: the latter doesn't store any
>> passwords, but does have hostname, id, and port. The latter are
>> duplicated in an elisp file I load from my init.el. I'd prefer to
>> have the latter use, or read the data from, .authinfo [or
>> .authinfo.gpg:] how to do?

Vijay Lakshminarayanan Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:07:05 +0530
> As long as you have [gpg] in your PATH, things should generally Just
> Work. Open your .authinfo, C-x w .authinfo.gpg and Emacs will ask you
> for a password for the file.

That part works, but

* smtpmail is choking on the .authinfo.gpg interaction: details @

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2011-08/msg00116.html

* using .authinfo.gpg doesn't address the topic, which is how to prevent
  the data duplication. Does smtpmail have some mechanism to extract
  server name, port#, etc from .authinfo*. Alternatively, how to elisp
  read-and-extract? (Unfortunately my elisp is pretty weak, so any
  assistance is appreciated.)

Feel free to reply directly to me as well as the list, and TIA, Tom Roche
<Tom_Roche@pobox.com>