Re: Key binding? in Auctex (LaTex-mode)

From: spinner
Subject: Re: Key binding? in Auctex (LaTex-mode)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 04:54:02 -0700 (PDT)

Morten Leander Petersen wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand the question, but as long as you specify a
> particular master file in each of your child files you should be
> alright.

Thanks for your message. I see the source of confusion. I must have
misunderstood the documentation:

I thought that if, first, I inserted the following code at the end of
my parent-master file and, secondly, I pressed C-c _ while in my child
file that Auctex would automatically find this master file without me
typing its path.

  %%% Local Variables:
  %%% TeX-master: "master"
  %%% End:

If I still must type the path to the master in each child, do you know if
there is a practical difference between these two Tex file settings:

  %%% TeX-master: t

  %%% TeX-master: "master"

If these settings are functionally the same, the following code from the
doesn't seem to be very useful (i.e., why bother with it):

  (setq-default TeX-master "master") ; All master files called "master"

Why call parent files "master" in --%%% TeX-master: "master"-- if I need
to specify the path in the child files? Am I missing something?

Sent from the Emacs - Help mailing list archive at