Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: info node missing(auctex-devel)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 02:32:46 +0200

Hi Shiyuan,

Sorry I forgot to respond to your last post.

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:17:04 -0500
Shiyuan <gshy2014@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>     It seems that simply adding info files to the INFOPATH
> directories is not enough for the info node to show up by C-h i m
> auctex and we need to modify some file to let emacs know there is a
> new info file. I confirm this by cheating emacs by renaming the
> auctex.info-1 to the name of an existing info file which can be
> display correctly by C-h i(for example, ada-mode). If I do that, I
> can see the info of auctex under the original node's name (eg.
> Ada-mode). So when a package is installed, which file does it modify
> to let emacs know a new info filed needed to be added? Thanks.

When an info file is installed, an entry is added to the dir file in
$INFODIR (in your case it is /opt/share/info) and the info file itself
is placed in the same directory (usually after gzipping).

How do you install the info file, do you run install-info? Usually the
Makefile should have a rule like install-info. So you could install the
info files like this:

$ make install-info

If that doesn't work, you can try installing by hand like this:

$ install-info --infodir=/opt/share/info /path/to/auctex.info-1

But please backup before you try this as I have not tried this myself.

GL

--
Suvayu