Re: Why code completion using CEDET in Emacs so slow?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Why code completion using CEDET in Emacs so slow?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 20:25:43 +0200

Judeau writes:
> I want to use the boost header files. Every time I include a new header file
> in the boost library, it takes pretty long to parse.

Yes, boost is a huge library with very complicated constructs, so
parsing takes time.

> I used boost asio, and it always takes a few seconds for the first look up.
> The second look up (means cached) is a brief. delay.

> Meanwhile, using Eclipse CDT or KDevelop, after I include the header
> file such as boost/asio.hpp , the symbols in the header file (and
> related files in the header) are automatically available for look up
> instantly without any delay (just like the usual feeling when
> programming with Java in an IDE).

Yes. CEDET is written in Emacs Lisp, so it will always be slower than
those programs. Still, it should always be usable. Could you provide an
example file using boost::asio which demonstrates the slow completion?

-David