Re: Gnus: Error on setting up IMAP accounts

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Gnus: Error on setting up IMAP accounts
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 10:09:08 +0200

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil))
> (setq user-mail-address "address@hidden")
> (setq user-full-name "My Name")
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>    '((nnimap "address@hidden"; primary email account
>              (nnimap-address "mail.uni.edu"); mail server address
>              (nnimap-server-port 993); port
>              (nnimap-authenticator login); authentication method
>              )
>      (nnimap "address@googlemail.com"; secondary email account
>              (nnimap-address "imap.googlemail.com"); mail server address
>              (nnimap-server-port 993); port
>              (nnimap-authenticator login); authentication method
>              ))
> )

I'd probably start with just these gnus-secondary-s-m

  '((nnimap "address@hidden"
            (nnimap-address "mail.uni.edu"))
    (nnimap "gmail"
            (nnimap-address "...")))

Most probably, that'll just work.  Gnus will automatically determine
what's the most secure connection for the servers and use that.

> 3) ~/.authinfo (as before):
> machine mail.uni.edu login mylogin port 993
> machine imap.googlemail.com login address@googlemail.com port 993

Don't specify a port if not needed.  And add a "force yes" as last thing
in each line.

> 4) If I start Gnus with M-x gnus, I see:
> imap: Connecting to mail.uni.edu # I see this for about 2min; can't do
> anything else with emacs during that time
> imap: Connecting to imap.googlemail.com # I see this for as long as I
> watch... The only chance to proceed is to hit C-g

Probably, because you say Gnus to use port 993 with SSL while the
servers prefer something else.  As said, start with a minimal setup.

> Q5: I have a file contacts.org containing all contacts in
> "org-contacts"-form. My .emacs contains:
> (setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d/contacts" load-path))
> (require 'org-contacts)
> (custom-set-variables
>  '(org-contacts-files '("~/org/contacts.org")))
> [I found this here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@gnu.org/msg37143.html] As
> mentioned on http://julien.danjou.info/org-contacts.html, this allows
> for completion of addresses. I tried it, but I can't complete
> addresses defined in contacts.org. What else do I have to specify?

You need to call

  (org-contacts-gnus-insinuate)

in your ~/.emacs or ~/.gnus.el to make that working.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not