RE: isearch semantics, 23 vs 24

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: isearch semantics, 23 vs 24
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:35:30 -0800

> In emacs 23 ... if I then did C-s C-y C-s
> I would get a search for the entire first line...  But in
> emacs 24, C-s C-y C-s ... search for whatever was last killed;
> instead, to get the desired behavior, I must do C-s M-s C-e C-s
> how best/easiest to restore the old behavior?

(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-y") 'isearch-yank-line)

How to find that out easily on your own?  Look in the isearch.el code.  Or ask
Emacs itself, like this:

1. Load this library:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/help-fns%2b.el

2. C-h M-k isearch-mode-map

Do that in Emacs 23, and you see that `C-y' is bound to `isearch-yank-line'.

Do it in Emacs 24, and you see that `C-y' is bound to `isearch-yank-kill' (and
`isearch-yank-line' is bound to `M-s C-e', as you noticed).