Re: isearch semantics, 23 vs 24

From: Tom Roche
Subject: Re: isearch semantics, 23 vs 24
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 13:52:58 -0500

Tom Roche Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM
>> In emacs 23 (and for as long as I can remember before that), if I
>> then did

>> C-s C-y C-s

>> I would get a search for the entire first line (of '-'): point
>> would be at the end of the second separator, which would be
>> found/highlighted--this I expect, know (certainly my fingers know
>> this :-), and prefer. But in emacs 24,

>> C-s C-y C-s

>> causes a (usually failing) search for whatever was last killed;
>> instead, to get the desired behavior, I must do

>> C-s M-s C-e C-s

>> Is there an easy way to make my init.el (aka .emacs) tell emacs 24
>> that I want the old semantics

Drew Adams Sun, 27 Nov 2011 09:35:30 -0800
> (define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-y") 'isearch-yank-line)

> How to find that out easily on your own? Look in the isearch.el

Right, but then I need to find that. Much more conveniently:

> ask Emacs itself, like this:

> 1. Load this library:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/help-fns%2b.el

> 2. C-h M-k isearch-mode-map

> Do that in Emacs 23, and you see that `C-y' is bound to
> `isearch-yank-line'.

> Do it in Emacs 24, and you see that `C-y' is bound to
> `isearch-yank-kill' (and `isearch-yank-line' is bound to `M-s C-e',

Yes indeed! help-fns+.el works as advertised, just

0 Download help-fns+.el to a directory in your load-path.

1 I byte-compile-file'd it in emacs 23, per emacs-version
  interoperability instructions in file.

2 Add

(load "help-fns+")

  to your init.el or helper file.