Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell

From: Yuan Luo
Subject: Re: customizing dircolors doesn't take effect in emacs shell
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 19:36:00 -0500

Hi Pete,
Thanks for your quick reply, I linked ~/.emacs_bash to ~/.bashrc but the default color is still not changed. I read more about ~/.emacs_bash, it seems to me emacs sends the content from this file to the interactive shell upon starting. However, if I directly type "dircolors -b ~/.dircolors" in emacs interactive shell, I got the following result:

LS_COLORS='';
export LS_COLORS

where as the same command typed in a regular system shell would yield the desired LS_COLORS.

What could be the problem here?
Thanks,
Yuan

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

Am 7.1.2012 um 22:28 schrieb Yuan Luo:

> This happens in emacs23, what am I missing?

Put the useful shell aliases also in ~/.emacs_bash – this file is read in by the bash running in a *shell* buffer. (~/.emacs_bash can also be linked with ~/.bashrc. Maybe it's possible to customise the bash that it reads in ~/.bashrc.)

--
Greetings

 Pete

The future will be much better tomorrow.
                               – George W. Bush