Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?

From: Silvio Levy
Subject: Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 12:52:55 -0800

> Yes, X11 forwarding is clearly not the way to go.  But why not open
> files on the remote server using TRAMP which comes with emacs?

In my case, the answer is that editing files is only part of what I do
remotely. I keep an ssh window open on the remote host anyway; it
makes little sense to then use a *local* invocation of emacs to open a
remote file (with the corresponding overhead of transfer protocols,
mimencode and all that jazz).

Conceptually, too, it's cleaner if each of my (color-coded) text
windows is acting on a single host.

TRAMP sounds terrific, but it seems to be meant for a different sort
of workflow.

Silvio