How do I bypass Tramp? [was:Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?]

From: Tami
Subject: How do I bypass Tramp? [was:Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?]
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 18:05:42 -0600

On 2012 February 3 Tassilo Horn wrote:

  [brevitized]

> Yes, X11 forwarding is clearly not the way to go.  But why not open
> files on the remote server using TRAMP which comes with emacs?

  ----->> *snip* <<-----

I also live in emacs (no X) on 2 small networks of computers connected via an
in-house meta-network.  My housemate and I regularly transfer files from
machine to machine, subnet to subnet wherever there is disk space or specific
capability.

Recently he acquired some new machines and installed the latest Debian
distributions with emacs21 and/or 22.  Since I've been running emacs 19.34 for
decades (its practically perfect) I was horrified when my usual method of file
transfer - ange-ftp - was replaced by tramp on the new machines (which do nice
things like display video files on a previously-vacant TV channel).

Transfer times between 2 machines in the same room (on the same subnet) now
take eons and for large file transfers, Tramp demands repeated re-logins.

        This is an insanely complex nonsolution to a simple nonproblem.

How do I use just ange-ftp for these in-house transfers without disabling the
ability to use tramp if I ever  need it?

Is tramp actually good for anything useful?  If not, how do I disable it
permanently for myself when using his machines?

If it is useful, can it be sped up?  I've had faster FTP transfers between MIT
and Finland when the 2 countries were connected by one shared 56k line across
an ocean!  The 2 computers I refer to are 4 feet apart!

My housemate is learning emacs, but his default is vi (shudder), netcat, and
packet radio (which takes longer than tramp but lets one sleep through
overnight transfers).

He didn't install the .el files.

Thanks

.Tami
 .signature: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected