Re: Re: How do I bypass Tramp? [was:Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?

From: Tami
Subject: Re: Re: How do I bypass Tramp? [was:Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?]
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 18:42:05 -0600

On 2012 February 5 Michael Albinus wrote:

        [brevitized]
> Emacs 22 comes with Tramp 2.0, which is way slow. Upgrading to Emacs 23
> shall speed up.

> There are also lots of settings, which would ease your life (for example
> avoiding to type your passwords again and again).

> Tramp is useful to access machines which do not run an ftp daemon. It
> offers a lot of different access methods, for example you can access
> machines running MS Windows, or even Android based cellular phones. (*)
> Tramp does more than file transfer. It allows you also to run remote
> processes. (*)

> (*): depends on the installed Tramp version.

   Thanks for the info.

   Tramp may be a useful program to keep on my promiscuous netbook, but
   unnecessary for home machines where ftp is enabled behind the firewall. I'll
   upgrade the netbook & keep my comfy emacs.

   19.34 was the first emacs version GNU ported to M$windoz. In the process it
   got thoroughly debugged.  In 1998 I used it to access Windoz-2000 machines
   (on the same lan) using ange-ftp.  I used dired to mark files to transfer.
   It all worked seamlessly on my GNU/Linux 350MB laptop.

   A decade later I tried an early version of emacs23 hoping to be able to run
   packet radio in emacs shell, but the development version was too riddled
   with bugs to use.  I'm still waiting for emacs23 to appear on a Debian
   (stable) distro. (I'm a wait-til-its-stable adopter.)

   Meanwhile we're looking at zenirc with an eye to tweaking the code to run
   unproto packet radio. Packet is just another chat mode, and TNCs speak modem
   to serial ports.

   Once I have zenpacket there will be no incentive to upgrade emacs :)

                                     * * *
   PS After I sent my query, someone on the list mentioned that they used
   screen to maintain local states on multiple machines.

   I have been doing this for decades.  I have 11 screens on 4 machines, with
   each screen devoted to one or 2 remote-local tasks.  Its fast and I can
   multitask on multiple machines with just a keystroke to switch.

   And I still have 6 terminals on my own machine for local tasks!

   I really don't need tramp at all except on slut, the promiscuous netbook :)

   Glad I asked!

.Tami
 .signature: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected