RE: Display compilation buffer only if compilation failed

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Display compilation buffer only if compilation failed
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 09:29:35 -0800

> (defun my-recompile-switch-if-error ()
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((buf (save-window-excursion ; prevent display-buffer
>                (recompile)))) ; returns compilation buffer

After displaying it, AFAICT.

>     (when (not (my-compile-success-p buf))
>       (display-buffer buf))))
>
> But it doesn't work...

AFAICT, `recompile' invokes `compilation-start', which calls `display-buffer' on
the output buffer.

The doc string of `compilation-start' does not explicitly say that it displays
the buffer.  It probably should.  The first line should probably state that it
runs compilation command COMMAND _and displays the output_.  Some subsequent
doc-string line can bother to mention "(low-level interface)", if that is really
helpful/important.

Consider reporting a doc bug: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.