RE: Search in filled text does not work correctly

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: Search in filled text does not work correctly
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 13:26:46 +0000

I've been using Emacs for >30 years, and I've always wished that searching for
a specific sequence of characters and words including whitespace in a text file
would automatically span lines.

Of course, early on, I learned how to form the regular expression that does
this (this predates the "\s-" construct in today's GNU Emacs).  This request
feels to me like a different sort of search.  Were I doing this 30 years ago, I
would have called it Isearch-English or something like that.  (Mostly I work
with computer languages, which is why I never got around to writing anything
like this....)  In today's multi-lingual world, I'm not sure what to call it,
and I also don't know which natural languages (outside of the obvious
European-based languages) would work with this concept.

Cheers,

Mark