Re: Emacs 24 crashes

From: Thorsten
Subject: Re: Emacs 24 crashes
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:04:19 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 23:04:54 +0200
>>
>> I do have quite a few Emacs crashes recently, but looking into the main
>> log files of my system did not yield any related messages - where can I
>> find them?
>
> If your system log doesn't have anything appropriate, it probably
> means that Emacs aborted itself, rather than crashed.

Emacs aborting itself is especially annoying when you have a setting
with one Emacs daemon but lots of Emacs clients, i.e. when using WMs
like tmux or stumpwm to manage the Emacs windows.

> The way to find out why is to run Emacs under a debugger.  Then, when
> Emacs aborts, the debugger will kick in, and you will be able to poke
> around for reasons.

That would be something like:

| gdb run emacsd

?
I must admit, I just installed gdb, have to read a bit about its use
first probably.

--
cheers,
Thorsten