Re: emacs 24's forward-char vs right-char behavior

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: emacs 24's forward-char vs right-char behavior
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:43:22 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Joost, and Eli for the informative answer.

first, here's my emacs version am testing from.
GNU Emacs 24.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-02-15 on MARVIN

Now, paste this sentence in emacs “(كتاب ألف ليلة و ليلة)”. Then, hold
down right arrow key (which is bound to “right-char”), then when
cursor moves into the Arabic text, it'll suddenly reverse direction,
and move right to left, until it reaches the left most arabic char
sequence, it'll jump back to the english text and continue move right.

Now, do the same but using “forward-char” 【Ctrl+f】. Actually, the same
behavior is observed visually!

from Eli's post, it seems to be the expected behavior. But then what's
the difference of forward-char and right-char? Am totally confused
now.

In emacs 23, holding right arrow (or Ctrl+f) simply move cursor to the
right, ALWAYS. I was expecting this from emacs 24's “right-char”.

 Xah