Re: EMMS best practice, tag editing and fetching lyrics

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: EMMS best practice, tag editing and fetching lyrics
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 09:42:20 +0800

On Wed, May 23 2012, Johnny wrote:

> William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:
>> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

[...]

>> I'm liking Mingus: it only does music, which is all I want, and it stays
>> aware of the global state of mpd (a 'g' is usually all it takes). I
>> don't like the browsing interface as well as EMMS (it's too tied to the
>> filesystem structure of your music library), but with ido-mode on it's
>> not bad at all.
>
> I have seen mingus mentioned and got a copy to test.
>
> I read your discussion on the stumpwm list on mpd setup and have played
> around to achieve something similar. I haven't been very successful
> integrating mpd and stumpwm though and would be curious to understand
> your setup better. I currently use ncmpcpp and alsamixer bound to shortcuts
> for
> fast access, but as I mentioned in the original post, my main issue with
> ncmpcpp is that the keybindings are just awful.
>
> Emacs to create and edit playlists (and possibly tags and view lyrics)
> and stumpwm directly for play, pause, fwd, etc. would be great!

Yup, it's a pretty ideal setup. We're getting a wee bit off topic here,
but basically what I do is start mpd at boot time, so it's running
before X starts, and then I've got the following in my .stumpwmrc:

(load-module "mpd")
(define-key *root-map* (kbd "m") '*mpd-map*)
(mpd-connect)

(defcommand PCM-volume-up () ()
  "Adjust PCM volume up"
  (run-shell-command "amixer set PCM 3+"))

(defcommand PCM-volume-down () ()
  "Adjust PCM volume down"
  (run-shell-command "amixer set PCM 3-"))

(define-key *top-map* (kbd "XF86AudioRaiseVolume") "PCM-volume-up")
(define-key *top-map* (kbd "XF86AudioLowerVolume") "PCM-volume-down")
(define-key *top-map* (kbd "XF86AudioPlay") "mpd-toggle-pause")
(define-key *top-map* (kbd "XF86AudioStop") "mpd-stop")
(define-key *top-map* (kbd "XF86AudioNext") "mpd-next")
(define-key *top-map* (kbd "XF86AudioPrev") "mpd-prev")
(define-key *top-map* (kbd "XF86AudioMute") "toggle-mute")

Only the first two lines are really necessary. If mpd is running at the
default 127.0.0.1:6600, this will do it. You can connect manually using
'C-t m x' (provided you're using the prefix above), and after that 'C-t
m C-h' to see all of stumpwm's mpd-module commands.

I use mpd with pulseaudio, but I can't imagine that would make any
difference.

Good luck,

GNU Emacs 24.1.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-05-19 on pellet