python.el and imenu

From: Greg Laun
Subject: python.el and imenu
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 23:26:14 -0400

How does one use imenu with the current python.el in emacs24? When I try M-x imenu in a python file, I always get the message, "No items suitable for an index found in this buffer".

I have spent a good part of the day searching the Internet for an answer and have had no luck. I have found other people having the same problem (e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6317667/fabian-gallinas-python-el-imenu-support) but the solutions there do not work for me.

I tried using a blank .emacs file and still get the same errors, so it doesn't seem like my configuration.

Anybody know how this is supposed to work?

Thanks!

Greg