Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Emacs for email: Rmail v VM v Gnus
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:59:20 +0200

Hi Rémi,

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 11:55:46PM +0200, Rémi Letot wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>

> > I saw all the Gnus love on this list and elsewhere, and decided to try
> > it when I was in search of an email client that does what I want.
> >
> > These were my needs:
> >
> > 1. ability to read mail directories (synced with OfflineIMAP)
> > 2. fast and responsive
> > 3. easily searchable
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit late on this, but have you considered adding a local imap
> server in the mix ?
>
> Lots of people seem to prefer using gnus nnimap + a local dovecot to
> access maildir folders.

As a matter of fact, I did.  I need to have access to my emails offline,
hence my choice of using OfflineIMAP.  OfflineIMAP docs say imap -> imap
sync is still experimental.  Moreover I looked at setting up dovecot,
the configuration seemed non-trivial.  Also since for search I was
looking at notmuch, maildirs seemed to fit the bill best.  This also
allows me to write simple scripts for things like notification.

> --
> Rémi

Thanks for your thoughts,

--