Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?

From: Sean McAfee
Subject: Re: Detachable shells in Emacs?
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:04:50 -0700

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
> Sean McAfee <eefacm@gmail.com> writes:
>> What I'd like is to be able to detach the shell process running in the
>> buffer, like the GNU screen program allows me to do, and resume it
>> later.

> Do the reverse.
> Run emacs inside screen, not screen inside emacs.
>
> You can do it after the fact:
>
> - launch screen,
> - in screen, use emacsclient -t to open an emacs frame in screen,
> - close the GUI emacs frames with C-x 5 0
> - detach screen
> - log out
>
> then you can:
>
> - log in
> - screen -r -x
> - M-x make-frame-on-display RET :0.0 RET

Very nice!  But it doesn't quite get me where I want to be.  I work from
home occasionally, and so I'd like to be able to leave Emacs running at
the office and resume working on it remotely, on my laptop, over an ssh
tunnel.  But when I try to create a frame on my laptop's display, using
"localhost:10.0" as the display, I get "X11 connection rejected because
of wrong authentication."

Anyway, I guess this has become more of an X11 and/or ssh problem than
an Emacs problem.